Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You Ever Seen a Grown Man Naked?

Not all great comedies are made based on the strength of a scene. Some are made due to simple lines. Lines such as:

1) Billy, do you like movies about gladiators?
2) Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
3) I'll never get over Macho Grande. . .
4) And don't call me Shirley.
5) Oh it's a big pretty white plane with wheels, and it looks like a big Tylenol.

But Airplane also has some classic scenes too.

1) June Cleaver speaking jive to the two brothers.
2) The absolutely classic dance hall scene where Ted and Elaine are dancing to the Bee Gee's "Staying Alive". The part where the one guy keeps dancing after being stabbed still cracks me up.
3) The inflatable co-pilot who bears a striking resemblance to Peter Griffin. Giggity.
4) Where Captain Kramer removes not one, but two pairs of sunglasses.
5) Anything with Johnny and Lloyd Bridges. Their interplay was genius.

There are far too many other relevant points to make to the comic genius that is Airplane. That is why Airplane takes #4 on MegatonMaynard's list of the best comedy films of all time.

As an aside, one Mortimer Suppes of Nevada gave me a hard time that his all time favorite, Rhinestone, is not on the list so far. I answer with simply this. My list is of movies that are funny by design, not hilarious by how god-awful they are.

1 comment:

Sneti said...

There was that one time you were coming out of the shower... But I digress.